At last…and what kept me so long? Reading other blogs if I am truthful – a good way to pass an hour or six!! But as promised a few posts ago my menu plan. We have already made and eaten most of it as mine begins on a Friday (after the Thursday shop) unlike Menu Plan Monday that I see most people are following. I am still debating which day is best for shopping so Thursday could be subject to change.
I have tried to use 80% seasonal foods as well as include any foods that were left over in the fridge from last week.
Menu Plan – February Week 1
- Friday – Leek and Potato Soup (making enough to freeze for a lunch or two at work next week)
- Saturday – Courgette and Feta Tart – (using up the courgettes and Spring Onion from last week) with winter salad (grated beetroot and carrot, potato salad, coleslaw) and watercress (I know this isn’t exactly seasonal but being vegetarian I need the iron). Extra salad to take to work.
- Sunday – Walnut Nut Roast which has peppers in it (to use the last of those expensive ones I bought last week!) with Roast Parsnips and Brussel Sprouts
- Monday – Mushroom Strudel (which has brown rice in it) with Sweetheart Cabbage and Sweet Potato
- Tuesday – Left over Nut Roast with Swede and Potato mash, carrots and frozen peas (otherwise I would have withdrawal symptoms from peas by now) and frozen Broad Beans.
- Wednesday – Cauliflower and Broccoli Bake (which has potato, celery, leek and a tin of tomatoes) with a Ground Rice pudding and Prunes to follow.
- Thursday – Pasta with a pot of sauce from the fridge (need quick meal here as I will have been shopping and it will be late) – with any left over veg and might also sneak in some more Peas.
So far I have managed to stick to the plan and this means I only buy the veg we need to do the recipes and this cuts down on potential waste as I don’t buy veg just in case I might make something or other.